Missions

Pray for Philippines Missions

January 31, 2010 An Inspiring Missions Story from John G Lake

Sunday, January 31, 2010


Taken from The John G Lake Sermons on Dominion over Demons Disease and Death


Pages 12-13 How God sent John G Lake to Africa.

.......We left Indianapolies the first day of April, 1908, my wife and self and seven children and four others. We had our tickets to Africa but no money for personal expenses in route except $1.50...(at this point in the narrative Dr. Lake relates several remarkable Providences of God Which supplied their expenses n route.).

Throughout my knowledge of the immigration laws of south Africa, i know that before we would be permitted to land, I must show the immigration inspector that I was possessor of at least $125.00. We prayed earnestly over this matter, and about the time we reached the equator a rest came into my soul concerning it. I could pray no more.

About eight or ten days later we arrived in Cape Town Harbor, and our ship anchored. The immigration inspector came on board and the passengers lined up at the purser's office to present their money and receive their tickets to land. My wife said, "What are you going to do?" I said, "I am going to line up with the rest. We have obeyed God thus far. It is now up to the Lord. If they send us back we cannot help it."

As I stood in line awaiting my turn, a fellow passenger touched me on the shoulder and indicated to me to step out of the line, and come over to the ship's rail to speak with him. He asked some questions, and then drew from his pocket a traveler's checkbook, and handed me tow money orders aggregating $200.00. I stepped back into line, presented my orders to the inspector, and received our tickets to land.



Johannesbourg is one thousand miles inland from Cape Town. Throughout the voyage and on the train we earnestly prayed about the subject of a home. We were faith missionaries. We had neither a Board nor friends behind us to furnish money. We were dependent on God. Many times during the trip to Johnanesburg we bowed our heads and reminded god that when we arrived there, we would need a home. God blessed and wondrously answered our prayer.

Upon our arrival at Johannesburg I observed a little woman bustling up. She said, "You are an American missionary party? " The reply was, "Yes." Addressing me she said, "How many are there in your family?" I answered, "My wife, myself and seven children." "O," she said, "you are the family. The Lord has sent me to meet you, and I want to give you a home."

That same afternoon we were living in a furnished cottage in the suburbs, the property of our beloved benefactor, Mrs. C. L. Goodenough , of Johannesburg, who remains to this day our beloved friend and fellow worker in the Lord. She is now a resident of Forida and has visited us in the West.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP